Jay Gaines, currently CMO at SiriusDecisions talks to us about the Demand Unit Waterfall (the newest, re-architectured version of the Demand Waterfall) changes in B2B marketing trends and the increased use of install tech data and technographics in this space.
Listen on for some interesting insights and takeaways!
Jay Gaines is passionate about marketing leadership that drives innovation, and measurable results. In his career that spans over 20 years, he has been in a variety of b-to-b industries. His experience includes organizational design leadership, marketing strategy and planning, marketing budget, operations management, demand creation, sales and marketing alignment, digital strategy. Jay has held executive-level marketing and business development positions at well-established and startup b-to-b companies.
Prior to SiriusDecisions, Jay was Chief Marketing Officer at EDR, a b-to-b information company, where he led all marketing, communications, market research and events activities across the company’s six business divisions.
Top ten takeaways from the episode:
- “I spend a lot of time with the Field Sales team, which I think is important to any CMO.”
- “The primary way I approach Sales and Marketing alignment is to create a common view of the customer.”
- “We do a lot of things in terms of structure to create alignment with Sales and Marketing too.”
- “The biggest challenge that CMOs can have is their own CEOs and CFOs!”
- “Really understanding the nature of your offering is key to driving revenue and planning strategies.”
- “Account-based Marketing has been and continues to be all the rage. Every client at SiriusDecisions focuses on it in one form or the other.”
- “ABM is best when you want to go after large accounts.”
- “In B2B marketing and ABM, engagement metrics are important at every stage.”
- “One of the big trends we’ve been tracking for a while now is increased consumption of install tech data, technographics.”
- “Technographic data helps create better Customer Experiences. Expectations are being defined by experiences in B2B marketing. Retaining customers is crictical and CX begins before anyone becomes a customer…technographics can help create that experience, to serve better outcomes.”
Sunny Side Up is a series of 15-minute podcasts. Leaders and innovators share what they’ve learned in the B2B tech sector on topics related to marketing, product management, sales, and leadership.